Saturday, December 28, 2013

5 More Vintage Styles that Should Come Back


Recently, HuffPo style ran a list of 10 Vintage Styles that Really Need to Come Back. It listed petticoats, gloves, seamed stockings, and a lot of things that are par for the course for a lot of us midcentury-loving ladies. I think, though, there are a few other fashions they missed. Here are five I'd like to add to the list.


Smith college, 1937 via

Corsages
These nice little bunches of flowers were pinned to clothes for special occasions--think every courthouse wedding scene in old movies. Such a nice way to make an event especially special and you can dry it for a nice souvenir.


Rain Bonnets
I'm happy to report I've already brought this style back. I wear a leopard print Bubble Betty rain bonnet on a fairly regular basis, but I have one or two plastic ones from the drugstore, too. If you're prone to frizz like me, even with an umbrella, you need to have one of these in your purse.


Hostess Dresses
A couple weeks ago, I threw a party and I kinda wish I'd planned ahead to grab one of these on Etsy. A hostess gown is a full-length, but not quite formal, dress for entertaining at home. From the 1930s through the 1970s, women wore these to look put together while prancing around the living room with a tray of manhattans before the first course.


Boudoir Slippers
You could slip a pair of these on under your hostess dress, or just put them on in the morning. Slipping into heels first thing in the morning makes me feel ready to take on the day, even before the first cup of coffee. They're a lot more elegant than bunny slippers, and with their hard bottoms, you can run down with the trash.

via
2-piece Knit Dresses
When leisure became a thing rich people felt they needed more clothes for, Coco Chanel made soft, comfy knits. I love the idea of being able to mix and match (and the fact that so many of these knit sets have elastic waistbands0. I have a vest and skirt set from the 1950s and I've since been trying to get more. Because as much as I like looking fancy and elegant, I also really just want to be comfortable. From what I can see, people stopped wearing these adorable sets around the 1970s.

What trends do you want to see come back?

Desiree runs the vintage fashion and lifestyle blog Pop-o-matic Deluxe. She tweets at @itsdlovely. Stop by and say hello!.

No comments: