Monday, April 2, 2012

Up in Smoke



It is very difficult today to find a cigar or pipe smoker, but I have a grouping of vintage pipe paraphernalia.  Most of the interesting pipes belonged to my father-in-law who was a hardy Captain of a ship delivering oil for Imperial Oil out of Halifax Ontario during World War 11. Just as the movies depict the Captain on the deck of his ship with a pipe in his hand well that was Captain George Elliott . I guess it is the old story of why we hang on to these things, but since everything has a tale and a story to tell we hesitate to rid ourselves of those memories and leave the job of liquidation to the next generation.  I suspect that as the time travels down the road the stories of these items and who they belong to becomes fainter and fainter and then that will be their demise.

2 comments:

papel1 said...

I too had a collection of antique pipes from my GrandFather. They were neat to look at and I had success selling them online. They do bring back memories.
Judy

vintagecatwalks said...

Hi Judy:
Thanks for your interest. I am so terrible I feel badly to sell them since they were my husbands father's and I feel should respect that . Crazy way to think I know I will take your advise and check e-bay to see if they could be sold and get an idea of their worth. Maybe the grandson could use the money instead of handing him a pile of old pipe goodies.
Dianna
Vintagecatwalks.com