Saturday, December 18, 2010

How I Love A Vintage Coat!

My love affair with vintage coats began more than 25 years ago, when my sister took me shopping at our area's first "real" upscale/trendy second-hand/vintage store. I collected a lot of vintage things, including jewelry, but hadn't yet taken the plunge into apparel. Well, when I spied a 1950's black cashmere dress coat with exquisite styling and a fabulously affordable price, and which fit me..... I was hooked for good! I could never in a million years have afforded something like that new, and even if I could have, the quality wouldn't have been the same. That coat is still in my closet, along with three other vintage coats: another winter one, a season-transitional coat, and a cashmere topper jacket. And it still looks like new. Though it's a tad too small right now (I vow to get back into it!), for years I wore it ALL the time to work and out to special occasions. In the chill and snow of the snow belt of western New York State, so you know it got a lot of use over the years!

The thing with vintage coats is, you really cannot find the same styling and quality today at a comparable price. IMHO, you just can't find coats with the same fabulous styling, no matter what you pay! From 1950's sack coats, shawl-collar coats, and coats with wonderful seaming details, to snappy 1970's pea coats and trench coats, you just can't beat a vintage coat! And today, the sellers of Reflections of Vintage present some of what we have for sale now.



From Catseye Vintage, we have this 40s/50s Off-White Big-Button Short Coat:

Photobucket



And from VintageCoatPourri, a 1960's Forstmann Penn Craft Wool Swing Coat:

Photobucket



After Dark Vintage has this Moire Navy All-Weather Coat listed:

Photobucket



This Cream Cashmere Swing Coat is offered at Catseye Vintage:

Photobucket



And this 1960s Fur-Trimmed Claralura Clutch Coat can be found at After Dark Vintage:

Photobucket



You can find this Lorendale Wrap Coat at VintageCoatPourri:

Photobucket


Check out all of our shops to find even more great vintage coats and other apparel!

3 comments:

Sixpence and a Blue Moon said...

I love your blog...and vintage coats. :) I am now a follower.

Sixpence and a Blue Moon said...

I love your blog...and vintage coats. I am now a follower of this wonderful blog. :)

Vintage Lady said...

I too love vintage coats! This one 1960s Fur-Trimmed Claralura Clutch Coat is fabulous!