Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Pattern Collectors I need help

I have had this Infant pattern from Madame Weigel's for years, and have hesitated listing it, because I knew nothing about it's age or origin. I have been researching the company and have found some fascinating information. Madame Weigel was Johanna Wilhelmine Weigel (1847-1940) and her biography can be found in the Australian Dictionary of Biographies.

But I still can't put a date or era to this adorable infant wardrobe. The few patterns I have found from the 40's and 50's have a very different envelope design. 10/06 is written on the front cover, but I haven't a clue if that is a date or some other notation. I've had it since about 2000, so I know it doesn't signify 2006. LOL

If anyone can help me date this lovely, I would be most appreciative.



3 comments:

Tart Deco said...

I would make an educated guess that the pattern is from the 30s based on the back of the pattern and the cut of the garment. It is very similar to some items I found in the attic of my apartment next to an art deco dress.

Marina said...

what a great find!
thanks for showing it...

Marge, Born Too Late Vintage said...

While this doesn't date your pattern, it is a bit of interesting information:

http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/biogs/AS10485b.htm