Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Amazing Antique Store Find

So, I found this pendant in an antique store and it was still a real deal! I picked up the lovely Siam Silver or Niello Silver pendant pictured above for under $12.

This small teardrop shaped pendant in the same style used to belong to my grandmother, then my mom and now it has been passed along to me. How did my grandma come to own such a fabulous pendant like this? Well, she was coming out of the grocery store and found it just lying in the street completely unharmed. That happened when my mom was little (so probably in the late 50s early 60s). Being the thrifty lady that my grandmother was, she put the charm on a cheap chain and wore the heck out of it.
I've checked around on the internet for some history of this style of jewelry. From what I can sort out, Siam Silver or Niello Silver jewelry was made between the 1930s and the 1970s in Thailand and was mainly brought to the U.S. by military men buying it for their ladies at home. There are lots of stories of people getting rings and pendants from their husbands or fathers out there on the internet. There are also a lot of Ebay auctions and other online stores that are selling this style of jewelry. You can usually find it pretty cheap and it would be very easy to find full sets (if you're into that sort of thing).

2 comments:

Karen said...

how interesting. i recently found a cuff bracelet at my grandparents house made from a very lightweight metal with the date 1946 and a picture of mountains and some Chinese/Japanese (no idea) characters on it that I assume must have been from when my grandpa was in the Philippines. i love finding things with an interesting history!

the family vintage said...

so cool! i have a heart locket with the same figure on it. my husband (at the time bf) bought it for me as a christmas gift... purchased from a headshop that, among other things, stocked pieces of antique jewelry. thanks for this post. i've never looked up anything on it before and this was very interesting.