Reasons people attracted to vintage clothing:
- Unique or almost unique: most items were custom made, and others were manufactured in small quantities only.
- Good quality: they were designed to be worn for years and passed on to other family members, so they were made of robust materials, well cut and well made, with generous seam allowances and hems which allow for alterations and custom fit.
- Fine materials: many of the unusual older fabric types are no longer manufactured, or are now prohibitively expensive.
- Value for money: garments generally sell for a cost far below similar new modern garments.
- History: an appreciation of the past, the roles of previous generations and the skills of respected designers.
- Detailing: hand finishing, unusual buttons, hand embroidery, handmade lace, crochet, applique, beading and other techniques.
- Style: vintage clothing has traditionally been the favourite of creative personalities because it offers an enormously wide range of imaginative styles.
- Investment: some people buy to collect rather than to wear, and increasingly, good quality vintage garments especially items by well-known designers are sought after by collectors.