Friday, February 13, 2009

Love Saves the Day closes

A vintage friend of mine visited yesterday, I hadn't seen her in over a year, so we were catching up on news. I was shocked and really sad to hear that Leslie Herson had passed away in August. I used to see Leslie at the Columbus flea market (I haven't been there since I moved 3+ years ago) I didn't know Leslie very well, but we'd run into each other and talk vintage a little. She was easy to spot, even though she was super tiny. She had a whole lot of curly hair and in the Winter, when the market was less crowded, she'd have her two little dogs with her, running along beside her. I was at Columbus buying stock for my website and she was buying stock for her store 'Love Saves the Day'.
You may not realize it, but you all know that store - remember in 'Desperately Seeking Susan' when Madonna trades her leather pyramid jacket for rhinestone boots? That was filmed in 'Love Saves the Day'!

Leslie first opened 'Love Saves the Day' in 1966 on 77 7th Street, the shop then moved down the block to Second Avenue and 7th Street. Twenty years ago she opened another branch in New Hope PA. Following her passing, her husband decided to close the NYC landmark shop earlier this month and just focus on the New Hope Shop.


Story from the NY Times End Comes for Outpost of East Village Counterculture

4 comments:

VagaBond Nyc said...

That is soooo sad!

propriatress said...

thanks for posting this....I guess I gotta go watch Desperately Seeking Susan...again...for old times sake....it's nice to be able to go places on the internetz...

andapanda said...

Thanks for sharing. What a store!

Metro Retro Vintage said...

I'm so sorry to hear of Ms. Herson's passing, and the closing of the store. How wonderful to have known such a dynamic lady!