Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Vodka, Vintage & DVD Contest

Apparently, vodka is the secret ingredient to removing odors from vintage garments. According to Mad Men’s costume director, he uses a mixture that includes vodka to remove bad odors (moth ball, sweat and anything gross). I'm on the hunt to find out the exact recipe.

And to think I was just using it in a glass!

If you have any other tips or tricks for removing odors, leave a comment! The reader who leaves the best idea will win a new "My Favorite Wife" DVD starring Cary Grant & Irene Dunn from Some Like it Vintage.

3 comments:

andapanda said...

I use vinegar. Sure fire trick to remove aromas.

Carol@Dandelion Vintage said...

I'm lucky because I have a screened in porch. I hang clothing out there for several days to get out smells, especially moth ball smell. In the Summer, humidity is great for drawing out the smells. I usually get the smells out first, then clean the item, that way it doesn't spread the smell onto anything else.

Jacqueline said...

I was told from a vintage aficionado in England to soak a cotton ball in vanilla extract and put garment in a plastic air tight container with the vanilla cotton ball overnight, or longer if needs be (don't let the cotton ball touch the item of clothing of course) I have tried this method and it seems to work.