Red Rose Vintage offers a nice range of vintage clothing and accessories from the 1890s to the 1970s, with special categories for lingerie, jewelry, menswear and nic-nacs. The prices are very reasonable and even cheapo me bought a 1940s green wool coat several years ago.
Enjoy the interview!
1. Please give a brief history of how you ended up selling vintage clothing –
*Daphne - I started collecting clothing as a teenager; my mom has always been a collector of antiques and as I tagged along to auctions I got intrigued with vintage clothing and jewelry. I worked for a vintage clothing store and ended up buying it a few years later.
2. What kind of vintage clothing can customers find in your store –
*Daphne - I carry mostly items from the 20s through the 60s; I like the wearable pieces and I love purses so I try to have a lot of those, also hats, shoes, costume jewelry and small vanity accessories. I have mens wear also.
3. Do you have a philosophy on buying, collecting or selling vintage clothing –
*Daphne - I always try to buy items in very good to excellent condition. Sometimes you have to turn down lovely things but I think people have appreciated my “pickiness” over the years. Other than that, I try to buy anything and everything I can afford!
4. What makes you excited about vintage clothing, what keeps you interested in it? *Daphne - The thrill of the hunt. You never know what you will find as you walk into an auction or an estate sale. In 20+ years I think I’ve seen it all, but I haven’t!
5. What sort of items do you collect personally - vintage clothing, antiques, weird stuff or otherwise –
*Daphne - Not much any more, but in the past I collected Art Deco compacts, Cincinnati Reds baseball items, Bakelite jewelry, leopard print anything and lobby cards of 50s and 60s sci-fi and horror movies.
6. What are your future plans, where do you see yourself in 2-3 years with selling Vintage?
*Daphne - Probably I will not be doing much of it any more as I’m pursuing other interests, but never say never!
7. List all of the places where you sell - online, walk-in shops, events, shows –*Daphne - Right now I sell only on my web site http://www.rrnspace.com/ and on ebay. In the past I had a brick-and-mortar store for 20 years and did shows here in Indy.
8. Do you have a blog - What other groups or social networks do you belong to - *Daphne - none
10. Show me a few of your favorite items that you currently have for sale and explain what you like the most about them -
*Daphne - These are great earrings; I love art Deco anything – they are on my web site.
This is a necklace on Ebay that’s a favorite of mine.
1930s Art Deco Pave Rhinestone Chandelier Earrings
Beautiful Art Deco Glass Necklace with Filigree Pendant
*Daphne - As I looked through my web site, I realized that I’ve sold a lot of my best pieces. I need to put more on!
from the website -
1950s Summer Rockabilly Blouse and Pedal Pusher Set
1950’s Lavender Flocked Formal Full Skirt
Check out -
Red Rose Vintage Clothing - website
Ralph Harris Vintage - on ebay
Thank you Daphne!