Friday, July 18, 2008

Vintage Bulletin Interviews - Red Rose Vintage

This interview is with Daphne, the gal behind Red Rose Vintage Clothing . She opened her retail shop in Indianapolis in 1979, which was in business for over 20 years, and she began selling online at her website in 1998. She is also known as Ralph Harris Vintage on ebay, named for her hardworking shipping clerk Ralph. (Check out Ralph's checkered past in Her Biography)

Red Rose Vintage offers a nice range of vintage clothing and accessories from the 1890s to the 1970s, with special categories for lingerie, jewelry, menswear and nic-nacs. The prices are very reasonable and even cheapo me bought a 1940s green wool coat several years ago.

Enjoy the interview!


1. Please give a brief history of how you ended up selling vintage clothing –
*Daphne - I started collecting clothing as a teenager; my mom has always been a collector of antiques and as I tagged along to auctions I got intrigued with vintage clothing and jewelry. I worked for a vintage clothing store and ended up buying it a few years later.

2. What kind of vintage clothing can customers find in your store –
*Daphne - I carry mostly items from the 20s through the 60s; I like the wearable pieces and I love purses so I try to have a lot of those, also hats, shoes, costume jewelry and small vanity accessories. I have mens wear also.

3. Do you have a philosophy on buying, collecting or selling vintage clothing –
*Daphne - I always try to buy items in very good to excellent condition. Sometimes you have to turn down lovely things but I think people have appreciated my “pickiness” over the years. Other than that, I try to buy anything and everything I can afford!

4. What makes you excited about vintage clothing, what keeps you interested in it?
*Daphne - The thrill of the hunt. You never know what you will find as you walk into an auction or an estate sale. In 20+ years I think I’ve seen it all, but I haven’t!

5. What sort of items do you collect personally - vintage clothing, antiques, weird stuff or otherwise –
*Daphne - Not much any more, but in the past I collected Art Deco compacts, Cincinnati Reds baseball items, Bakelite jewelry, leopard print anything and lobby cards of 50s and 60s sci-fi and horror movies.

6. What are your future plans, where do you see yourself in 2-3 years with selling Vintage?
*Daphne - Probably I will not be doing much of it any more as I’m pursuing other interests, but never say never!

7. List all of the places where you sell - online, walk-in shops, events, shows –*Daphne - Right now I sell only on my web site http://www.rrnspace.com/ and on ebay. In the past I had a brick-and-mortar store for 20 years and did shows here in Indy.

8. Do you have a blog - What other groups or social networks do you belong to - *Daphne - none


10. Show me a few of your favorite items that you currently have for sale and explain what you like the most about them -
*Daphne - These are great earrings; I love art Deco anything – they are on my web site.
This is a necklace on Ebay that’s a favorite of mine.


1930s Art Deco Pave Rhinestone Chandelier Earrings
Beautiful Art Deco Glass Necklace with Filigree Pendant

*Daphne - As I looked through my web site, I realized that I’ve sold a lot of my best pieces. I need to put more on!

from the website -


1950s Summer Rockabilly Blouse and Pedal Pusher Set
1950’s Lavender Flocked Formal Full Skirt



Check out -
Red Rose Vintage Clothing - website
Ralph Harris Vintage - on ebay

Thank you Daphne!

2 comments:

Marge said...

great prices! I've never been to that site before.

materialgirlbags said...

One of my long-time (ca. forever!) sites! I'm sorry the store is no more and that you're considering getting out of it Daphne, but I can understand. Thank you for your many years of honest listings, fair prices, and fab items!