Thursday, June 19, 2008

Things that make you go hmmmmm


This dress recently sold on ebay for $300. Wow right? But, the dress is a year old Isaac Mizrahi dress from Target, originally selling for about $40. Wow right? I am not saying anything negative against the seller. Great for her, she sold a new $40 dress for $300. She listed it in the reproduction category and it was clear that the dress was new and not vintage.
It just makes you wonder about the market on ebay. This dress was an XL so I think that was a major factor in the bidding. Two recent auctions of the same dress in smaller sizes each ended at $20-something.
I know that true vintage XL dresses are hard to come by, and I can understand a real vintage XL dress selling for that much. I'm not implying anything negative towards the bidders either. Obviously at least 2 gals really-really wanted this dress. But a year old Target dress? Nothing against Target either, I love Target clothing.
This auction was a fluke, so don't think that you can go to the Thrift shop or dig through Target's clearance rack and find this dress thinking you'll get $300 for it on ebay. But somehow I can imagine a rush of Isaac Mizrahi dresses being listed on ebay by people who don't know any better.

4 comments:

Eleh said...

this dress is real pretty but at $400, who are they trying to kid? i hate it when seller misuse the word "vintage".

Carol@Dandelion Vintage said...

I hate the misuse of the term 'vintage' too. But this seller did use 'repro' in the title and it was listed in the reproduction category. She wasn't trying to pass it off as vintage.

Hoardmeister said...

Since I specialize in plus size vintage, I know how hard it is to how hard it is to find pretty, fun stuff! It does seem somehow wrong that this could have vintage in the title, but that's the way the game is played. I still think the buyers have too much time on their hands and too much money to spend--they should look for the real thing. Senorita Hollywood always has GREAT plus size vintage!!

Hoardmeister said...

Sorry for the repetition - typing on one cuppa joe.